The software QjackCtl must be installed. Execute it and configure the sample rate to 44100 Hz:
- Click on "Setup...".
- Set Settings / Parameters / Sample Rate: 44100.
- Click on "Save".
- Close the "Setup" window.
- Click on "Stop".
- Click on "Start".
The sample rate is defined by the parameter "output_rate" in the file
vtm.txt, located in
gama_tts/data/english/vtmX, where X
is a number.
Copy the data files contained in the directory
gama_tts/data/ (from the source package of gama_tts or from
/usr/local/share/gama_tts/data) to another directory. The user must have write access to this directory.
Run the program
- In the main window, click on File / Open and select the file
- In the main window, click on "Synthesis window".
- In the synthesis window, enter an english text in the field "Text". Click on "Parse". The text will be synthesized.
- In the synthesis window, set the "Tempo" field to 0.5. Click on "Synthesize". The text will be synthesized in a slower pace.
- In the synthesis window, set the "Tempo" field to 2.0. Click on "Synthesize". The text will be synthesized in a faster pace.
- In the main window, click on "Interactive VTM" (interactive vocal tract model). Click on "(Re)start". In the "Dynamic Parameters" area, change the slider for "Glot Pitch". In the slider for "R8" (mouth radius), move the value from zero to the center value and back to zero, repeatedly and as fast as possible. You should hear the sound "ba". Now set the slider for "Velum" to 0.25. Move again the slider for "R8". You should hear the sound "ma". Click on "Stop".